Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Greatest Time of Year (sorta)

It's the greatest time of year, and it's here, help us celebrate it.  Joy to the world and everyone lift up your hands and feel the sun?  I definitely don't know all the words to that song.  It's a good thing that my Dad doesn't either or he would correct me.  There is nothing I dislike more than when I'm singing Christmas songs and I don't know the exact words for a verse and I make a word up and immediately I hear this disembodied voice from somewhere in the house going "Those aren't the words!"  Well I'm sorry, sheesh, just let me enjoy the holiday spirit! 
Anyway, it's not this time of year yet, the song was just stuck in my head because it was on my ipod as the songs shuffled on my run the other day.  Weird.  But it IS a good time of year, it's a good time of year for SHOPPING! :)
This is the time when it's still semi-warm outside and you don't need a coat, but all the stores are getting shipments of their deep-winter clothing (parkas, sweaters, down jackets, etc) so all the clothes that you want to wear right now are on sale!  Have I mentioned that I only buy clothes on sale?  And I very rarely if ever buy clothes not on sale? (except for Christmas and Easter dresses).  Anyway I'm a sucker for a bargain.
It had been a month or two since I'd been shopping (Target doesn't count) so I was feeling the urge.  And since Becca needed to go to the mall anyway to pick out her homecoming dress I went to LOFT before I met her and mom at the mall, we picked out her dress and while she was getting dinner at Chick-Fil-A I swung into Gap and Banana Republic.  The next day we went to DSW (also known as heaven) to get the shoes to match her dress.  And here are the things I picked up!




I saw this shirt when it wasn't on sale and I didn't want to pay the full price but now it was on sale and there was an extra 40% off the sale (LOFT does that a lot, I suggest going there for their sales, they have a lot to offer).  The jeweled collar just spoke to me.  I wore it today with a navy and gray stripped cardigan, gray pants to tie in with the gray cardigan stripes, neude shoes to tie into the color of the shirt, and big earrings to match the jewels on the collar.  I was pretty proud of my outfit!  Now if only I had woken up early enough to do my hair . . . lol 
 



This was a light weight sweater from Gap that was on sale.  I try to buy light weight sweaters because the colder it gets outside the warmer it gets in my office so if I buy big chunky sweaters to keep me warm outside I'll sweat like a sinner in church all day.  And the sweater was so soft.  Sometimes you get inexpensive sweaters and they itch.  This one didn't thank goodness.




This was just a pretty, good quality cream shirt from Banana Republic.  It would go very well under a suit jacket.  I need to keep building my work/meeting wardrobe and the best time to do that is when things are on sale.




This was a beautiful cream sweater from BR that had little beads along the neckline.  It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine when a shirt has a design on the the front and the design doesn't continue onto the back!  It just screams cheap to me which is frustrating because there are some pretty expensive clothes that only have designs on the front.  Thankfully this shirt didn't have that problem.  Another good investment piece.  If only I could afford cashmere . . .




See?  Beads all the way around.  Check.




This is just fun!  Its a size to big so the arm-holes gape but I can alter that in about five minutes with a few quick stitches.  Btw I will wear this in the middle of winter.  Bright colors make me feel happy on dreary cold days, and it's unexpected and I enjoy doing the unexpected when it comes to clothing ;)




Again a light sweater.  I adore the contrasting colors!  These colors aren't the same tone so conceptually they shouldn't work but they do!  You can wear this in cold weather with a jacket or by itself in warmer weather.  I've already worn it twice lol




This shirt was pretty and on sale and it's material could transition into Fall so I bought it.  It's a bit blousy and on me since I have boobs it resembles a maternity shirt . . . but I made it work by topping it with a cardigan the cinched in at my waist. 




The detailing on the front was pretty.



And now for this lovely beauty!  I originally bought the skirt in blue because I love the updated pleats and the wide band at the waist.  I considered buying the orange one too because orange is my favorite color but I talked myself out of it since I could wear blue so many more places than orange and I don't wear skirts that often.  But the skirt still called to me . . . So when I saw it on sale (the last on in the store mind you) I snatched that puppy up immediately!  Now, here's the thing . . . the skirt is a size 2!! HA!  I've never, ever worn a size 2, like ever.  Thankfully LOFT sizes tend to run large (fyi buy jeans here, you will feel soooooo much better about yourself) and the skirt was meant to sit on your hips.  This meant that I could zip the thing at my natural waist and the skirt still fit and I was able to buy the gorgeous creation with no guilt whatsoever!

Now onto the shoes:


LOOK at these!  No, seriously LOOK at these shoes!  Has there ever been a more perfect shoe made, ever?!?!  Hot pink with a slightly pointed toe.  The pointed toe makes it more sophisticated, if it had been a rounded toe it would have worked for summer and high school but somehow the pointed toe brings it into Fall and gives it a more mature feel.  And it's hot pink.  Come on that's just awesome.




And last but not least, booties!  I have given up on all shoes that cut off at the ankles.  T-straps, booties, flip-flops with a band around the ankle.  I avoid them like the plague because I have large calves and anything that visually cuts the line of my legs make them look even rounder and shorter.  So I didn't think I could wear cute booties for Fall, but these booties I can!  See how the dip down in the front?  This will continue the line of the leg, making my calves look not so huge and helping me rock these awesome suede booties with a trendy heel in my alma mater purple!

No comments:

Post a Comment