Thursday, September 6, 2012

Backwards S'mores

So I saw this recipe on another blog and immediately got a craving for marshmallow fluff and wanted to have these s'mores RIGHT AWAY!
Since we didn't own any marshmallow fluff and getting it would mean fighting rush hour traffic to get to the grocery store (I have a Whole Foods right across the street from my office but I SINCERELY doubt they carry a product anywhere resembling marshmallow fluff . . . ), I decided to forgo the lovely treat until I could make it to the store that weekend.
On Saturday after the fabric store I coerced my mother into going to Target where I subsequently disappeared on her and found my way to the baking aisle where I could buy the jar of yummyness and some graham crackers.  I didn't want her asking to many questions 1 because it was supposed to be a semi-surprise at the amazing daughter that I am and 2.  I didn't want her disapproving of my marshmallow fluff!  Anyway, I reappeared, we paid and went home, she took a nap, and I made the deliciousness!

Here's what I did:

(Before we get started I'd like to apologize for two things.  First, Dad and Becca were at a soccer tournament so he had the good camera.  I wanted to make these s'mores more than I wanted to take the time to figure out how to make our old camera look decent so the pictures are a little blah.  I also wanted to post this more than I wanted to teach myself how to use my new Adobe Lightroom photo-editing software so the pictures are a little . . . blah.  Secondly, the blog that I saw these made on stressed A LOT how you had to move INSANELY fast or everything would oooze and your life would be ruined.  So I made these as fast as I could and didn't take too many pictures for fear of ooze.  Well I don't know what she was talking about unless she was making one hundred of these babies.  I made nine and there was no noticeable ooze, but there also aren't a lot of step by step pictures either.  So I apologize on both counts.)

Ok, now here's what I did:
 
Take one packet of graham crackers and break them in half so you have squares.

This is almost an ingredients photo.  You have the graham crackers and the marshmallow fluff.  But you also have a tea pitcher and a sugar bowl.  And there's no tea in this recipe.  There is a lot of sugar, but not from the sugar bowl.  Sorry the picture is misleading.
 Next, line the graham cracker squares neatly on a baking sheet.  This makes for easy stuffing.

It helps if your freezer is large.  Check that your baking sheet will fit in your freezer before you assemble.  Mine didn't so I had to switch to our smaller one that was too small for the silpat but gosh darn it I was going to use the silpat!
Now the good stuff!  Take an ice cream scoop (It can be done with a spoon and your finger but you get a lot less sticky if you use an ice cream scoop)



And grab a scoopful of the fluffy stuff.  Plop one scoopful on each graham cracker.

Each scoopful is about a 1/4 cup

Then put another graham cracker on top of the fluff to make a sandwich and put them directly in the freezer so the fluff doesn't ooze.

Ignore the ones covered in chocolate and sprinkles.  That is the next step.  Pretend you don't see them.
Then melt some chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave and let them cool to room temperature.  The melted chocolate shouldn't be hot at all to the touch.  Don't worry, once chocolate is melted it won't harden unless you chill it.  So you could leave melted chocolate at room temperature for a while.
Then take the graham cracker sandwiches out of the freezer and one by one dip them in the melted chocolate making sure to cover them on all sides (it will be a thick coating of chocolate, don't worry, it's not like you're on a diet or anything).  Put them back on the baking sheet and immediately back into the freezer.

The chocolate coating helps keep the marshmallow fluff from escaping the sides and the cooled chocolate means that the fluff will melt slower than if the chocolate was piping hot giving you time to get them all covered before transferring them back to the freezer.  

Before you put the sandwiches back in the freezer put some sprinkles on the top since sprinkles are awesome and they look pretty.

Yum
Once the chocolate is set you can keep them in the fridge until you're ready to serve.  About half an hour before you're ready to eat them you can set them on the counter so the chocolate isn't rock hard.

Cutting them in half diagonally is aesthetically pleasing and makes it easier to eat. (Sorry about the blurry picture.  I'll just have to make them again to get a better picture.  Darn)

Warning, your hands will get messy and you won't want to stop at just one!

No comments:

Post a Comment