Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Crafting Schedule

I have decided, for numerous reasons, to move to the basement for the summer.  I plan to start looking for places to live in the fall.  I haven't decided whether or not to buy a condo or rent an apartment.  It's hard to justify spending $2000 in rent per month but I'm not sure I've mentally wrapped my mind about owning something as substantial as a condo.  We shall see.  But for now I'm staying at home and moving to the basement.  I wish the basement had a kitchen so I could live essentially on my own, but it doesn't so I'll suck it up for a few more months (how many times have I said that before).

The impetus for my move is Medium Well is coming home.  And if you've ever experienced two adults and a teenager in the same bathroom getting ready at the same time you know why I'm moving to the basement.  If you've never experienced that then count yourself lucky.  It's a war.  An all out, drop down, drag out war.  I'd guard my makeup with the straightener while Medium Well and Small One duked it out with elbows.  It was ridiculous.  Whew, bad memories.

Anyway, this move has inspired my creative streak!  Not that it's ever particularly dormant . . . I guess this just nullified my laziness.  I no longer have an excuse to do nothing on the weekends just because I feel like it, I now have to get my butt in gear or else!

Here's a quick run down of the first few projects on my list.




First was the bathroom (for aforementioned reasons).  I can tart using the bathroom in the basement before I have to move down completely.




The first thing to go in the bathroom was the hideous wallpaper.  This is the wallpaper carnage.  It wasn't pretty.




The cabinets in the bathroom and the cabinets in the wet bar desperately need to be stained.  They will be, a dark, lovely java color.  Oh and the laminate counter top on the wet bar.  Hideous.  I'm thinking of at least painting it and maybe putting up a small tile backsplash and making it resemble more of a kitchenette.




This is the last major change I will be making.  This is a room without any doors.  It's a small enclave that I'm using for craft storage right now.  This is also where we stick people come to visit us :)  It has a window so if more people stay than can fit in the bedroom we have them stay here on the pull out couch (I move craft supplies of course).  If you sleep in a basement you have to have a window for escape in case of a fire (code issues).

I want to turn this space into a walk in closet!  I'll hang shelves along the walls and move the furniture out and have a desk centered under the window.




Now for the not so big changes.  I want to refinish this coffee table and make it a tufted ottoman.




I want to paint this hideous chair white and recover the cushions in a soft chenille fabric that's lying on the chair right now.

I would also like to take the time to inform anyone who was interested and concerned for my general state of mind, I DID NOT BUY THIS CHAIR!  No one in my immediate family bought this chair.  A woman in my dad's office was moving to Texas and getting rid of her furniture.  I bought a lot of her stuff and this came with it.  It's hideous but beggars can't be choosers.  I'm hoping I can make it somewhat better (they still sell this same chair at IKEA btw.  If you ever feel so inclined please, whatever you do, do not buy the fake black leather version.  Fake black leather and plastic wood make me gag).




On that happy note, here are the fabrics I've chosen for the curtains in the rooms.  This is the fabric that is going in the new walk-in closet.  This fabric will stay in the room even after I've left so my mom approved it's colors and designs.




And this is the fabric for the curtains that will go in the room that will be my bedroom.  I'll take these with me when I leave since the colors are neutral and the pattern sophisticated enough that they will probably match a lot of spaces in houses throughout my life.

Well, there you have it.  A quick run down of all the crafts that will keep me busy for the next month or so.   After I finish these projects there are a lot more to go (tufting a headboard, painting my new bedroom, recovering both couches, making shelves, etc) but that's another blog post for another time.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment