Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Sweet Tooth


Look at these gorgeous little pastel parcels of loveliness!  Look at them all nestled in their soft bed of colored Easter grass just waiting for me to stop by and marvel at their delicate perfection, ponder their lusciousness, and reminisce about their deliciousness.

And then stuff a handful in my mouth and swoon in bliss while breaking the scale at the same time.  Don't ask me how it happens, call it my intuition, but you can just hear the scale cracking and groaning from the bathroom when eating these little buggers.  Not that this stops me.  I've just taken to avoiding the scale.  Our breakup wasn't him, it was me.


 

This is what my parents do to me!!!  Situated right next to the fruit bowl is the ever present Cadbury egg and white chocolate M&M bowl, and it never ends!  Seriously, when this thing gets low it just get refilled.  Magically.  By the fairies who hate bathroom scales and my jeans.

You see my parents have this thing called "self control" when it comes to these delightful delicacies.  I don't.  None.  Not at all.  It must be a gene I'm missing.  Or maybe I have the "it's delicious, I'm going to eat more of it" gene.  So, for them, having this bowl of tempting lusciousness out all day, every day is no problem.  For me it's a nightmare.  A wonderful nightmare filled with longing, satisfaction, and guilt.  Lots of guilt.  I think bowls of cadbury eggs are why confession was invented.

When faced with situations like this, I normally choose avoidance.  I would physically remove myself from the temptation by not purchasing any sweets.  Lent was also a time when I was spectacular in self restraint (New year's resolution, not so successful.  Lent, very successful.  Again with the guilt thing).  Sadly I can't say to my family "I have to fit into a bikini and look presentable in less than two months so I'm flushing your entire devilish stash of cadbury eggs and white chocolate m&ms down the toilet." I'm pretty sure I would be disowned.  And I can't even eat them faster to make them all go away.

   

This is what our pantry looks like right now.   You see, we absolutely love, cherish, and adore these little chocolate lovelys and they're only available for a limited time every year.  So we stock up.  Which means we should be set to last the summer and only suffer a few months of deprivation before Christmas rolls around and we can get our fix again.  Why do we have so many bags of these candies?  Because I made them buy them all.  They were pretty embarrassed going to the store and purchasing 8 bags at a time, let me tell you.  And why was I making them buy all this candy when I've just spent the first part of the blog post complaining about my squishy, non-bikini-ready stomach?  Because we didn't buy as many bags last year and we ate them up faster and I had to spend a good 7 months listening to "I miss white chocolate m&ms," "I wish we still had white chocolate m&ms," "weren't those white chocolate m&ms good?"  So to save my sanity I made them buy enough to last the summer, subsequently sabotaging my goal of meeting a future husband or boyfriend and wowing him with my toned physique.


  

But it's worth it, I guess, because these little things are delectable.  Truly they are really, really good.  I confess to having a soft spot for white chocolate.  I have loved it all my life.  As a young kid I only liked milk chocolate and white chocolate.  Small One and Medium Well got the chocolate Easter candy and I got the white chocolate Easter candy.  This was just a fact of life.

(Oh, P.S., for my birthday my mom and Medium Well found white chocolate cake batter bark from Godiva.  Um heaven!)

Where was I?  Oh yes.  I was first introduced to white chocolate m&ms back when the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out.  They came out with a special edition version for the movie and omg it was amazing!  My mom and I fell in love.  Sadly this special edition never gained enough popularity to become a mainstay on the shelves and all we were left with was a vague memory of blissful scrumptiousness (and anger at the coconut m&ms they decided to introduce instead.  Honeslty have you ever heard anyone say they actually like the coconut m&ms?  Ever?).  That was until last year when, by some miracle, we found white chocolate m&ms special for Easter!!!  Words cannot describe how excited we were (because our mouths were full, duh!).  But we misjudged our voracious appetites, hence the wailing and the moaning and why I didn't make the same mistake this year.

I did have a minor scare this year when the Cadbury eggs were out at our grocery store for weeks and I looked and looked for white chocolate m&ms and couldn't find them.  I had almost resigned myself to the fact that they weren't popular enough the year before and wouldn't be sold this year when we randomly saw them at Target.  Apparently white chocolate m&ms are a special Target only product.  Who knew.  Anyway, crisis and melt down averted.


     

White chocolate m&ms joined our mainstays of Cadbury eggs for Easter.  I can't remember when we first had cadbury eggs.  I mean we knew about the cadbury cream eggs for years.  Those were synonymous with Easter candy, but I think mom and dad got the mini eggs randomly one year and they became a given in our Easter baskets.  I have no idea what makes them so addictive but they are so good it's ridiculous!  Thankfully they now sell them at Christmas time too (although they're just balls, not eggs.  I've never heard of Christmas eggs.)




We also found the dark chocolate version a few years ago and dad has been loving them.  I think they taste fine, but I prefer the milk chocolate and so does everyone else so dad gets these all to himself.

So that is the story of our stash.  My wasitline will get bigger as our stash gets slowly smaller.  I might hide a few bags and bring them out in August when morale gets low.  But I'll only have to do this with the Cadbury eggs because . . . they now sell the white chocolate m&ms at Target and not just for Easter!!!  I was almost disappointed, all those embarrassing shopping trips looking like a hoarder of candy for nothing!  We can now indulge our passion for white chocolate whenever we want!  Forget the ten bags we still have in the cabinet.  Sigh.   Oh well, at least now you all can go and try them and experience them and then maybe you won't think I'm as crazy for writing a blog post about how much I love white chocolate and the angst I've gone through for years over these things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment