Sunday, June 9, 2013

Marketable Amenities

 I got a new faucet!  I got a new toilet!!!  I am so excited! 




Look at how shiny and brushed nickley and pretty and sleek and NEW!





Look at how stately and stable and awesome!  What a lovely toilet.  It's so new it still has a sticker on it!

I'm not kidding, I'm very excited.  If you had seen what was there originally you'd be excited too.  There are a few of my relatives who know my pain.  They've seen it.  They've experienced it.  And surprisingly they haven't been back to visit ahem ahem. 

When people come to visit they stay in the basement because it's essentially it's own little suite.  Bedrooms, bathroom, windows, tv, couch, wet bar, living room, air hockey table.  It's a pretty nice set up, which is why I'm moving down there.  But first, we had to make it livable.

Ok, deep breath.




Here it is.  In all it's glory. 

Gag.

Honestly what sort of things happened to this poor faucet?  How do you make a brass faucet black?  Was it corrosive toothpaste?  A gremlin living in the drain that used it for teething purposes? 
What we do know is that the basement is where the German nanny lived.  Yes the people who lived here before us had German nannies.  They also had marble busts of their children on the mantle in their pink living room.  They were scary, scary people.  Anyway, we don't know how this atrocity happened, but I didn't want to touch it.  So we got a plumber to replace it.




I didn't get an up close and personal picture of the old toilet.  I apologize.  I just know you're so disappointed about not seeing a picture of the old toilet.  Unfortunately a picture would not be able to show how it wobbled when you sat on it or how the water would drain out of it completely if you didn't use it often enough.  Here it is with me trying to paint behind it.  I tried to be a bit careful but hey it was going into the trash so I didn't try too hard to not get paint on it.  Bye bye old toilet.





And why did I have a plumber come and replace the toilet and the faucet?  Why didn't I do it myself and save hundreds of dollars?  This is actually a question I had at the beginning.  There are a million DIY tutorials about replacing faucets and toilets, I could have done it myself except . . . do you see all that shiny new silver pipe and white PVC pipe?  That's ALL new.  Essentially the plumber replaced everything from the faucet down to the wall.  I was prepared to shut off the water, disconnect the pipes, replaces the faucet, and reconnect the pipes.  I was NOT prepared to weld, tighten, screw, and replace piping.  I don't have the tools and the experience.




Also, that white thing in the side of the picture?  That's the sink.  There was about 5 inches between the sink and the wall which meant no clear view of anything and no room to work.  Have fun mr. plumber!




So, yes, I wimped out and let them call a plumber, but I know my limitations and I was not prepared for this project and felt just fine calling in the professionals.  And hey, it's not my house either soooo yeah, I'll mess around with DIY renovation when I'm paying the mortgage ;)  I did throw around the idea of staying home and watching the plumber work so I could figure out how to do it next time . . . but I figured that would make him pretty annoyed and the last thing anyone wants is an annoyed maintenance person!  Lol

Oh, and side note, we used the same people that replaced our water heater and they seem very knowledgeable about not only replacing fixtures but they also know how to replace piping and valves and such.  So I recommend them.  Since no one reading this lives here though, it's a moot point lol.




Pretty, new, non-grody sink faucet!



Non-wobbly new porcelain thrown!  P.S. my dad's jealous, maybe for Christmas I'll have them replace the master bathroom one . . .

Anyway, the bathroom is ALMOST completely finished!  Update coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. And it all becomes clear...no new house for anyone, but still very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, no place of my own yet but helping my parents make their place better while I'm here and willing to work!

      Delete