Sunday, January 20, 2013

Diet Cravings

So I'm heading down to Dallas in a week or so for a work conference.  Of course I decided to use that as an excuse to jump start my New Year's resolutions and try and lose weight.  Now there's not a lot of weight you can lose in two weeks, but at least I can fit into my jeans now!  All I've essentially done is reduce my calories and try to cut out sweets and snacks.  Anyway, as is the case with most diets, I get cravings.

My most recent craving this morning was for scones. 
I used to eat scones all the time in college.  My thought process was if you don't buy it you won't eat it.  So my apartment was devoid of all calorie laden yumminess like chocolate or candy.  This didn't stop me from craving calorie laden yumminess though.  So my solution was to make scones.
Now these weren't any amazing scones or anything.  They were essentially just flour, sugar, baking powder, and some butter.  They were perfect because I had everything at my apartment and didn't have to make a quick run to the grocery store at 1am while studying for a test.  I could just whip up a batch and chow down into the night until I fell into a sleep deprived coma (always praying that I'd hear my alarm and wake up in time for the test (I also had my parents call me on those mornings to make sure I was awake)).  Pretty soon I got even lazier and just started making the strawberry shortcake recipe using bisquik.  So I guess I wasn't eating scones at all but instead shortcakes minus the strawberries!
Anyway, they were simple to put together, quick to bake, decently low in calories, and delicious warm out of the oven or cold out of the fridge for snack the next few days.  Ah how I miss that carby, sugary, buttery goodness.  So here's my craving recipe for you so you can make it if you're trying to be healthy too!  It's ok I won't tell ;)




Here is what you need:  Milk, bisquick (I use the heart smart), butter, and sugar.




Spoon the bisquick into the measuring cup.  If you've ever baked with Bisquick you'll know that it clumps.  So it's easiest to get the right amount by spooning it.




Add the sugar to the Bisquick.  Mix them together before adding anything else.




Next add the milk.




Mix it together till it forms clumps.




Now add the melted butter and mix it together till all incorporated.




Form the dough into biscuits.  You can make 6 for 250 calories each or you can make 8 for about 190 calories each.  

Recipe:

2 1/3 cups Bisquick® mix
1/2 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
Nummy nummy!  They're even better if you refrigerate them.  Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment