Saturday, March 2, 2013

Risotto Ridiculousness

I love risotto!  It's yummy and you can honestly put ANYTHING in it.  Mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, ham, chicken, mozzarella, basil, rosemary, etc etc etc
I'll show you the base that I make and the vegetables that I added, but honestly you can change up what you add to it.




I start by prepping the vegetables that I'm going to add so they can cook while I'm making the risotto.  Here I'm doing a risotto primavera.  So I'm roasting carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower.




For every risotto I make I always add onions.  I make them in the same pan that I'm going to use to make the risotto so I only make one dish dirty AND all the flavor from the onions cooking stays in the pan.




Speaking of pans.  This is our new risotto pan!  I used to make it in a big pot but then I saw this Essential Pan by All Clad from Williams Sonoma.




It's a massive pan but it's a great size for cooking one pot meals.  More surface area too.



And it's deep so nothing sloshes over the sides.  Btw, did you know that All Clad pots and pans are all made in the USA?  I'm always looking for products made in the USA and these pots are some of my favorites.  But they're also expensive so I've been getting my parents one or two for each Christmas, birthday, or mother's/father's day for a year or so.




 Ok, back to cooking.  Saute the onions until soft in olive oil.




Then add a package of mushrooms once the onions are semi soft (mushrooms take less time to cook than onions do).




While you're waiting for the mushrooms and onions to cook, put 5-6 cups of chicken broth on a pot on the stove and start heating it.




Aw, the mushrooms and onions are now soft.   Take them out of the pan and put them in a bowl over to the side.




Now, in the same pan, melt two tbs of butter.




This is arborio rice.  This is a short grain, starchy rice and it's pretty much the only rice you can use for risotto.  It's sold at pretty much every grocery store though so no worries.




Add 1-1/2 cups of arborio rice to the melted butter and stir till all the rice is coated in butter.




Then add 3/4 cup of white wine.  Mix that in (it will absorb pretty fast).  Then add one cup of the hot chicken stock.  This will take longer to mix in.  




Stir until you can run your spoon/spatula through the risotto and it holds a line for a second (one mississippi) pictured above.  Then add another cup of the warm chicken broth and stir until you can run your spatula through and it holds a line, then add ANOTHER cup of warm chicken broth etc.  Keep adding the chicken broth and stirring until all 5 or 6 cups of broth are gone.  I like my risotto creamy not al dente so I add 6 cups of broth.  If you like al dente things you only need to add 5 cups of broth.




 Ah, look at the mess I have to clean up.  Joy.  Not.




By now the roasted vegetables are probably done (roasted on 450 for about 20-25 minutes) so take them out.  Here they are next to the bowl of mushrooms and onions from earlier.




Once all the chicken broth in incorporated you can add another 3/4 cup of white wine.  This is just to taste, so if you don't like wine you can leave it out.  But I like wine.  Yummy!




This is what it will look like when all the liquid has been added.  It looks a lot bigger than it did to begin with!




Here's a really blurry picture of the rice granules.  The one on the left is the uncooked rice and the on the right is the cooked rice.  It's plumped up and it's let off all it's starch.


 

Now you can leave the rice the way it is or you can add cheese to it.  I like to add a cup of Parmesan cheese and 4oz of goat cheese.  The parmesan cheese just melts right in and adds a little saltiness so I'd suggest adding that no matter what.  The goat cheese is more a personal taste preference.  It makes it creamier but it also makes it tangier.  It pairs nicely with the white wine and I love goat cheese (P.S. warm goat cheese on a salad is delicious!) so I add it.


  

Once all the cheese is mixed in, add the roasted vegetables and the onions and mushrooms.




 Look at that yummy scrumptiousness!




Yummy, yummy, yummy!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment